Friday, May 8, 2009

Here's To You, Moms!

I haven't paid too much attention to the fact that Mother's Day is on Sunday. We have some crazy weekends ahead of us. Baseball games, birthday parties, Mother's Day Tea, a visit from my sweet Ali . . . lots of stuff going on.

I remember being pregnant with Kyle on Mother's Day and insisting to Todd that after enduring 16 weeks of morning sickness that I was already a full-fledged mom. I still believe that my journey into motherhood was most definately cemented at that point but wow, I couldn't have imagined how much more intense and amazing the journey would become. And believe me, I am well aware that my journey has only begun.

Those of you who know me on a personal level know that I analyze everything. Ev-er-y-thing. I am continually replaying scenarios and thinking through how I may have better handled a particular situation. I watch other mom's and think "wow, what a great way to handle that".

This mother's day I want to applaud all the awesome mom's around me who have amazing attributes I so, so admire.

Mary - for always putting Aspen's best interst ahead of her personal feelings. She has had to do this more than anyone else I know and I admire her strength.

Peggy - for packing up her entire family and moving to Paris. For living with two kids in an apartment a fraction the size of my lower floor and surviving without knowing the language and the culture and half the time not knowing what she is eating. I would have done it in a heart-beat, but I know I wouldn't have done it as gracefully. And I would have done it in Birkenstocks.

My Sister (her formal title) - for being able to sit back and let a situation play itself out instead of acting on emotion. I gotta work on that one.

Susan - for always being honest with her kids - she has an 11 year old and 18 year old and that is unchartered territory for me. Being honest with a 3 and 5 year old is fairly simple. Adolescents is a whole other ballgame.

Sara - a mom at swimming that always seems to have such patience with the kids. She has such a sweet voice and never seems to get flustered to frustrated. Add that to my list of things to work on.

Christina - for laughing. She will see things that the kids do and bust out laughing. It is awesome. That probably sounds odd, but sometimes I am just so frazzled that I forget to even enjoy the moment. Christina makes me stop and laugh.

Kris - for being able to keep the kids on task at home. When we are home we are big lumps of slack. Kris has the kids at the park and has meals and snacks on time. Her girls' hair is always combed and their clothes always look brand-new. We take showers everynight - but hair combing and matching outfits are totally optional. In fact, Eric has insisited on wearing his shirts backwards for months. Oh well.

Allison - for being in the trenches with me. We can always talk about being tired and frustrated and clueless and still know that neither one of us would trade in any aspect of our lives in a million years. Plus she will drop everything to meet me at the gym or throw on jeans and a t-shirt and meet me for a last minute burrito.

Thanks you all ladies for giving me something to aspire to.

In Health,
Yo