Monday, June 22, 2009

Todd


Sometimes I think that my beloved and I could not be any more different.

He is the oldest of three and I am the youngest of five. He is responsible and and self-motivated while I am flighty and impulsive. Todd is the person standing in the back of a party being dignified. I am the one in the center of the room telling embarrassing stories. He is a saver and I am a spender. I like to make a quick decision so that I don't have to ponder any longer . . . he prefers not to commit for as long as possible. He prefers to play golf and fish by himself - I want to be surrounded by friends at all times. He insists the kitchen be spotless at all times and I simply reap the benefits of his kitchen tidiness since I would prefer to clean a toilet than wash a dish.

Todd is athletic and I am . . . well, not. A few weeks ago Todd ran the Reno-Tahoe Odyssey. This is a 178 mile relay race that takes about 30 hours to complete. He was invited to run on a team that consisted of 2 acquaintances and 9 total strangers. Todd told me about his recruitment 6 weeks before the race. Although I am not athletic, I am surrounded by friends who are absolute warriors - friends who run marathons and do iron mans. I have friends who have done that crazy bike ride from San Francisco to LA. While I am completely incapable of such feats, I know quite a bit about physiology, training and sports nutrition - I can talk glycogen stores and VO2 max. with the best of them. That being said, Todd and I really didn't talk about his training at all. He plays racquetball several times/week (and went undefeated for 2 years) and he occasionally runs on the treadmill.

While many people would actually seek out my expertise, Todd, in typical Todd fashion, silently started his training for the Odyssey and just as quietly finished. He completed three legs on 2 hours of sleep. He ran down Kingsbury Grade at 2am with a lantern strapped to the front of his hat and another strapped to the back. He texted me and called me a couple times during the race and I could tell he was having an awesome time.

And when it was all over the boys and I met him at the finish line where I found a not-so-typical sight. There was Todd with a huge grin on his face - looking almost as proud of himself as I was of him.

Congratulations, Todd. Not just for the Odyssey, but for all of your amazing accomplishments (none of which I will mention because I know you wouldn't want me to). You are the yin to my yang and I love you more today than I have in the 15 years I have known you. I hope that some of your fabulousness will eventually rub off on me. XOXO Yo