Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Breakfast, A Lunch, and An Oldie but a Goody

Are those of you living in Reno frustrated with the weather? 70 degree clear days followed by crazy wind and snow? I am so ready for summer's arrival.

I lived in Seattle for a year while I was interning. You always hear people talk about SAD (Seasonal Affect Disorder) and the depression that can accompany days and days of overcast weather. I absolutely loved Seattle. What an amazing city. I did feel like everything was always damp - my car, my clothes, my paperwork. It wasn't until I was back in Nevada that I realized how much I missed the blue skies. Todd would pick me up from the airport and I was absolutely stunned into silence by how bright it was. I believe the dreary weather had more of an effect on me than I thought. That is the problem with depression in general, right? Sometimes you don't know how stressed, or depressed or funky you feel when you are in the midst of it.

At any rate, with age I have become more and more fond of warm, clear weather. I love summer in Reno. I love the concerts at Bartley Ranch and at the Amphitheater downtown. I love play dates at the park and picnic lunches in the grass. I love the Log Ride at Great Basin Adventure Park and playing hide-n-seek with the kids in the gardens at San Rafael. I love sitting on the bench watching the kids play tennis. Ahhh summer. Bring it on.

On a food note - some pictures for you. Breakfast - flax pancakes, strawberries and the rare couple of slices of bacon. Lunch - turkey and cheese sandwich with a pre-school sized apple and some sugar snap peas (buy a big bag at Costco and the kids will work through it in no time). The oldie but goodie? Ants-On-A-Log. Peanut butter and raisins on celery. I never ate this as a kid and this is the first time my kids have had it. My kids don't usually eat peanut butter - that is unless they make something with it. They made their Ants-On-A-Log and happily devoured them!



In Health,
Yo